Monday, May 3, 2010

Nashville Flooding

As you probably know, Nashville is in the middle of some serious flooding. At least seventeen people have died. The Opryland Hotel and the Opry Mills mall are completely flooded; lots of downtown Nashville has been evacuated due to the rising Cumberland River overflowing its banks.

Here are a few pictures I took today.


So I'm moving here next weekend. The water was too deep for me to feel comfortable wading in (it would be at least crotch high here; there are steps and a porch that lead up to the door) so I don't know if the water actually got inside. I just hope the water level doesn't go up further before it goes back down. I guess that's what I get for choosing a house on "Riverside Drive". At least none of my important things were there, and everyone is safe, though.



The view from my front window at about 7:30 a.m. on 5/3/10



There were literally people kayaking in my front yard.



This was my house this morning, before the water rose even more. At this point there was not water inside.



The Cumberland River way over its banks



This is Barclay Avenue in East Nashville at about 6:00 p.m. on 5/3/10. It's the road adjacent to my house.





My thoughts go out to all those affected worse than I was.

2 comments:

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

I hope it goes down soon.

Your new house looks cute, I hope it isn't too damaged, my heart goes out to everyone :) T.

Bear Chick said...

So sorry to know you're affected. Seeing these pictures is so much more personal than seeing it on the news. I hope the whole area, and especially you and your family, recover quickly.